MARC Report 238: File association
In Windows, you may associate a type of file with a program. Thus, if you double-click on that type of file, Windows knows which program to open it in.
This functionality may be used to associate MARC Report with any file extension you wish. One way to enable this 'File association' is by selecting the option on the Program Automation page, called
Register [ext] with MARC Report
where 'ext' is a Windows file extension. The file extension defaults to
but you may enter other file extensions for MARC21 data here as well (eg., .001, .dat, .bib, etc.)
Its possible that after installing version 238, if you were a version 3 beta user, your .mrc file association with MARC Report will be lost. The rest of this page will help you get that functionality back.
If you prefer to double-click a file to open MARC Report, then after installing 238, please follow these steps:
- Open the program by double-clicking the program icon (not by double-clicking a MARC file)
- Goto the Program Automation page of the Options
- Deselect (un-check) the option 'Register [mrc] with MARC Report'
- Close the options form and close the program
- Open the Program and goto the Options form again
- Go back to Program Automation page and select/check the 'Register … ' option
- Close the options; close the program
- Double-click on a MARC file to test
The steps above apply to the '.mrc' file extension; if you have associated multiple file extensions with MARC Report, you will need to repeat these steps for each file association.
If you have been using the program for a long time on your current computer, the above steps may not work. The reason for this is because over the years software programs have changed the location in the Windows registry where they store this type of information.
However, there is also another way to associate a file in Windows using Windows Explorer.
- Right-click on the type of file you want to associate
- Select the 'Open with …' option
- This should pop-up a sub-menu; select 'Choose progam …' at the bottom
- A form will now appear somwhat like the one below
- Click 'Browse'
- Navigate to 'C:\Program Files\TMQ\MARC Report'1)
- Select the file named 'marcreport.exe'2)
- Back on the 'Choose program' form, select/check the option at the bottom of the page: “Always use the selected program to open this type of file”
- Press OK
If this does not work either, then we recommend that you ask your friendly IT person for help, or, if you have admin on your computer, you might first try the utility described here.