MARC Report 243: Program Changes
- An option was added to the Title list definition form that will allow repeating tags to be concatenated in the same display column.
- We have changed the default Mandatory Fields table so that subfield $a in Tag 518 is no longer required. If you have a customized Mandatory table, you may wish to edit the row for Tag 518 to replace the 'Y' with an 'N'. We have made this change1) because the definition and examples for Tag 518 show that the field may be used without subfield $a.
- Subsequent to the above, we've added two new cataloging checks (one for AACR and one for RDA) that warn when Tag 518 subfield $a (“contains the entire contents of the note”) is being used with subfields $d, $o and/or $p.
- We have also changed the default Mandatory Fields table so that subfield $a in Tag 046 is no longer required. If you have a customized Mandatory table, you may wish to edit the row for Tag 046 to replace the 'Y' with an 'N'.
- In addition, for the following number fields, if subfield $z is present, and subfield $a is missing, no Mandatory Fields error message will be shown: 015, 017, 024, 027, 030, 074, 086, 088. This cancellation is handled internally and there is no need to adjust your Mandatory Fields table accordingly. This change was made to make the program more in accord with the MARC examples (eg. “If no valid number exists, subfield $z may be used alone in the record”).
- Several new cataloging checks have been added to look at 007 and 338 for other and/or unspecified material.
- The installer for version 243 adds an option to associate .mrc files with MARC Report; this option is selected by default.
- In MARC Review and MARC Global, the program now offers an Edit option when you go to Load a review. This option simply loads the review and goes to the first page of the wizard interface. You may then step through the forms, making changes as needed, saving the changed review as a new review at the end.
- When selecting 'MARC Report Update' from the Help menu, the program will first check the server for the most recent version and tell you if you are up-to-date. (This is more like the program used to behave … some years ago)
- In MARC Analysis, the number of slots available for specifying 'Custom Lists' has been increased from 4 to 8, and the maximum data length has been increased to 64.
even though the LC page on Mandatory Fields continues to show that 518$a is required
Cataloging with RDA and MARC
RDA in Many Metadata Formats